Tuesday, February 10, 2009

In Light of the Approaching Holiday....




As an at home Mom during the day time hours I've had a chance to see alot and I mean alot of Valentine's Day commericials this year. Most of which are aimed at men to try and persuade them to order their wives/girlfriends/etc 18 red roses, or to buy diamonds, or fill in the blank here (I know you've seen the commercials.) Flip the channgel a little and you will find channel after channel of daytime soap operas with romantic, gorgeous men whisking their ladies off to some deserted island or other such fairy tale stuff...


This crazy Valentine's Day marketing (which seems to be much aimed for the floral and greeting card companies) has gotten me to thinking about Valentine's past. Hmmm....not so many years ago I would have told you that the most romantic thing was roses, date night, a love letter, jewelry, etc. I must say, in the fourteen years that I've been with Travis he has managed some quite lovely gestures. Suprise roses, perfume, you name it.


However, let me tell you what romance means to me now! I'll let the soap opera ladies keep their tuxedoed men, cause my guy will come home from a 14 hour work day and still make time to sit in the floor and play Batman with Noah. Even when he's exhausted from working he makes time EVERY night to cuddle with Lil, give her a bottle and most nights she prefers Dada to get her to sleep. He is their hero and their favorite play buddy (especially if it involved outside and mud!)


Now don't get me wrong, I still love to get flowers, and to have a night out as much as the next girl but I can see a lot more clearly now. Any guy can pull out a few flowers and candy one day a year. I'll take mine anyday.

4 comments:

Carol said...

How sweet! It's easy to get wrapped up in the hype of it all, but we're so lucky to have great husbands that are also great dads to our babies!

Shanna said...

I agree with Carol, seeing a good Dad melts my heart!!

Stephanie said...

How sweet!

Jeremy, Shauna, & Kennedy said...

So sweet and soooo true!