Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Croup...

Every year....I repeat EVERY YEAR since Noah has been born he has gotten sick around Halloween. I mean like with one or two days before or after...Six years straight...and guess what. Lilly Grace has been sick every year around Halloween also.

So true to form, last Thursday, Mom calls me from school to tell me Noah is feeling bad and is running a temp. I took him to the doctor than afternoon and he has "croup". This is most common in babies but we have the "big kid" version as the doctor phrased it. So after a little rest, a little juice, and a lot of Steroids, Noah is good to go. He still has a cough that sounds like some sort of oversized sea lion, but OK none the less.

Yesterday Lil wakes up with that unmistakable bark in her throat so after a trip to the dentist to get the tooth checked again (and driving back to Brownsville I might add because I left my stupid wallet at home...) we are back in the same doctor's office. They inform me that "yes, she's caught the same virus...but it's triggered croup AND an asthma flare-up." Thanks, doc, I tried to tell you that on the phone to save myself an office visit....Nonetheless we are sent home with (you guessed it) steroids, and round the clock nebulizer treatments.

I'm wondering if there is some sort of prescription drug rotation we can sign up for where they just send us an automatic prescription of steroids every October. If so, sign up the Parsley house!

But to look at the bright side of things, me and Lil have got to wear our comfy clothes today, and sip juice, and tea, and rock in our rocking chair and watch a whole lot of cartoons and. And I have enjoyed snuggling my baby, even if she does sound like a seal, or a sea lion...

10 comments:

Stephanie said...

I think they should do the buy one co-pay, prescription and get one free...or in my case get 2 free!

Heather said...

I definitely think they should just write a prescription for every child in the household. 'Cause you know if one gets it...they all get it:o) Oh well, more $$$$ for them I guess.

Carol said...

Poor Jess! I'm sure our fall nebulizer treatments are just around the corner!

Sherri said...

I always felt like I could have diagnosed my kids before I ever took them in to see the doctor! Hope everyone feels better very soon!

Julie said...

I'm with Stephanie. I think we should get buy one get one at GG. Or at least a frequent patient reward system!

Julie said...

I'm with Stephanie. I think we should get buy one get one at GG. Or at least a frequent patient reward system!

Lesley said...

One year we paid so many co-pays at Graves Gilbert, I am quite certain we paid the light bill for them.

Sorry to hear that your baby girl has been feeling rotten! Your day of relaxing sounds nice for you though!

April said...

So, sorry to hear everyone is sick. Even though Dalton takes allergy shots twice a week, it still doesn't stop those terrible viral infections. I think we have paid the light bill to GG on other months that Lesley didn't. Buy one, get one free would definitely work for us, too.

jparsley said...

I really think that the allergy department should have a plaque or something with our name on it...

DeAnna said...

I feel for them. I used to get the croup a lot too when I was little. I don't know what time of year, but I do know that it was when the weather was cooler because the doctors told my parents that one of the best things to do was to take me outside and let me breathe in the cool air. And I can very distinctly remember by Dad wrapping me up in a blanket and setting out on the porch with me at night so I could breathe better.
Hope they feel better soon!!