Sunday, August 2, 2009

A Little Sentimental...


My babies are snuggled asleep in their beds and I've been trying to get last minute stuff done for the first day of school tomorrow. Just the words, the first day of school, makes me a little sad.

Noah did attend preschool but it was only 3 hours a day four days a week and attendance was optional. I knew he could go or not go and I picked him up before it was even lunchtime. So thinking about my little boy being gone from me all day every day is a little hard for me to grasp.

This is the same little boy who I waited and prayed for and when he was born my life changed completely! I spent my days at home as a new Mommy doing nothing but simply holding and rocking and singing to him. We would literally spend hours together in our rocking chair, both content to be there. When he was old enough to toddle around we would spend hours and hours in the floor playing with tractors, little people, books, he loved it all. My world literally revolved around this child.

At that time, I was still working in the salon 2 or 3 days a week and when we made the decision that I would stay home and just work when Travis got home one day Noah came to me and said (he was 3 at the time), "Mommy, do you remember when you had to work at the shop all day and take me somewhere? I'm so glad you don't do that anymore!" Talk about melting a mommy's heart. That moment made me quit questioning forever if I had made the right decision.

So basically this boy has been by my side day and night since he was born. (Except for his much beloved overnight trips to Nana's!) So the thought of me not knowing everything he's doing or feeling or saying is breaking my heart a little right now.

On the other hand I am excited for him to start on this new adventure. He already has so many friends at school that he loves to be with, and he has heard Nana talk alot about all the fun things they'll do in kindergarten.

But part of me knows that as I'm writing this and wondering where on Earth the time has gone to that it will seem like a blink of an eye and my baby boy will be starting his senior year of high school and I'll still wonder why it has passed so fast.

So until that time, every chance I can, I'll still play tractors, swing him on the swings, read books, and whatever else my little man can come up with us to do because for right now, even if he is a kindergartner, he is still my baby.

6 comments:

Alicia Jane said...

It is so hard on us Mommy's!! I thought I would be ok but I am taking 1st grade harder than kindergarten!! Noah I know will do awesome in school!!

Sherri said...

You took me back many years to when my babies were little...sniff sniff. And yes, he will always be your baby. My baby starts his senior year tomorrow. Hold them and play with them every chance you get!
Did you get my email?

Kimberly said...

Thanks Jess. I needed a good cry today.

Stephanie said...

You keep making me cry today!

Carol said...

Are you trying to make me gauge my eyes out? Really! I was doing so good until I read this! :-) I'm so glad our boys had a great day, and most importantly that they have each other!

Erica Simpson said...

That was so sweet Jess!