Saturday, July 11, 2009

The burning backpack question...

As the beginning of Kindergarten is swiftly approaching we are starting to formulate a list of things we need to buy for Noah to start school. Obviously at the top of the list is a new backpack, which raises quite a conundrum around the Parsley household.

Mainly the question is this...do we give in to the 5 year old and let him pick out the hideous cartoon characterized backpack that will have holes worn into it by Christmas break (as did the one he used in preschool) or do we go ahead and order the better one from Pottery Barn or LL Bean which is much more durable (and more expensive) and much better suited to Mommy's taste (did I mention they are monogrammed...I'm a sucker for something you can put a name on...)? Actually, I"m not even sure it will be that more expensive in the long run because we would have to buy another cartoon characterized one before the year is out and he can carry the other type through first grade....Hmmm....

I suppose the real question is do I want to endure the wailing and gnashing of teeth that will surely begin the second we gets the "plain" backpack...I will let you know as the saga unfolds...

6 comments:

Carol said...

We got the Pottery Barn one, but only because Evan can take his Thomas backpack to church! :-) The best of both worlds! By the way, the backpack came in and it's ADORABLE!

DeAnna said...

Let me know how this goes. Isaac has an LL Bean back pack with his name on it that I love (of course he only gets to use it now to carry super heroes church:)). I was just thinking the other day it will be great because he can use that one when he starts school, but now you make me think I might not get so lucky.
By the way, Isaac tells me we need to go and buy two turtles, because Noah told him he had two turtles at home! lol

Erica Simpson said...

Anna Kate got the Pottery Barn Kids one...Jacob picked a semi-tacky one from Lands End! :)

Staffanne said...

I am visiting PBK in Louisville this week and I am pretty sure that is what we are going with. Hallie was pretty easy to reason with, because I told her that I "didn't think" Hannah Montanna made backpacks yet?!?! Not sure....just thinking.

Heather said...

Okay...I have a question. Does South Ed. get to have any backpack? Because Kyrock makes them get a clear or mesh backpack. What's the deal???

Nan said...

I say let Noah pick! Just kidding Jess! I only say that because my kids have had to get plain plastic or mesh ones for Kyrock and it's always hard when they want to get the cute ones. Heather, it's an individual school policy and Kyrock "ruled" to go with clear or mesh...I think it's silly, especially since all the other schools do not have the see-thru policies, but whatever!