Friday, February 26, 2010

Books Books Books...

So I love to read. Seriously....love it. I can remember being tiny when I would sit for hours with Mom and she would read to me. I would memorize the books long before I could read them and then I'd "read to her". I wanted new books everywhere we went. One of my very earliest memories is the first time she took me to the library.

I had to have been maybe 3 and we were in the grocery store and I think I asked for another new book. Mom explained that we would go to the library and borrow all the books we wanted and read them. I was fascinated and I still remember it. I used to check out stacks and stacks of books. When I finally got to school and learned to read I was hooked. I would go to the public library and head to the big kid section and pack up the big books and take them to the desk to check out. The library lady would give me a suspicious look and my mom would have to assure her it was OK because I could read books that big. One of my favorite things at Kyrock was to go to library with Ms. Brenda and she would let me check out books from the section that was supposed to be too advanced too.

It never let up. When I was in high school and had to pick out books for book reports my friends would purposely choose the shortest they could get away with. On the other hand, I would choose something with 1600 pages. I loved it! I'm not trying to brag, I was just a bookworm and I still am. I wasn't athletic I wasn't a math genius, I could just read and read lots and read fast.

When I went to college I tested out of freshman English and went to a higher level course and I loved it. It was an 8 am friday class and half the class usually didn't show up as a result from Thursday night parties I think. I was there and I read whatever we were supposed to read. I distinctly remember that professor profusely trying to talk me into becoming and English or Lit major and teaching. I didn't want to teach I just liked to read!

Fast forward 10 years. I now have 2 babies a house to run and a business to run. I find very very little time to read anything except things like Junie B. Jones to Noah (which by the way are hilarious books and I love them!) but I have really started to miss my books. Also by the time a Mommy puts in a 16 hour day for everyone but herself it equals some frazzled out nerves. So I decided earlier in the year to set aside a little time to at least read something just because I enjoyed it. In January I reread all the Twilight series books. Yep, reread but I loved it.

I had been eyeing the Kindles for a long while but I decided that were too expensive for right now. Well Travis spoils me and got me a spiffy new iphone and lo and behold there are free Kindle and Barnes and Noble Ereader downloads. I downloaded them along with Pride and Prejudice and am happily taking a little bitty bit of time to myself and reading. Perfect way to pass the time while waiting in doctors office or wherever. I'm a little bit hooked but it's OK. Most of the downloaded books to Kindle are only 9.99 and compared to a $29 bestseller I think it's great!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

You and I must surely be reading sisters, as I am THE SAME WAY about reading!!! I carry a book with me at all times and would much rather read than watch T.V. Not only to I love to read, but I just love books!! I could spend hours in a library or at Barnes and Noble...love, love, love it!

jparsley said...

Ahh I miss the days of hours in Barnes and Noble...I use to hang out there between classes at WKU and read forever!!! I tried to convince Travis that is was a great place for date night but he totally missed the fun of it....sigh...

Alicia Jane said...

I always wanted to love reading as much as you. I mean I love to read and do when I get the chance but I always wanted to enjoy the classics like Pride and Prejudice but I will try and can never get into them. So you like reading on the iphone? I have been tempted to do that..